- February 18, 2017
- 7:00 am to 1:30 pm
- Newport News Marriott City Center
- Newport News, Virginia
Program / Agenda
7:00—7:15 Registration & Breakfast
7:15—7:30 Welcome: Terry Thompson
7:30—8:30 Stop, Shift & Decide to Transform Healthcare—Raouf Gharbo, DO
- Understand how to develop a habit to stop the racing brain by inducing a recovery state, shift emotion on demand under stress & then how to improve healthy decision making;
- Be able to articulate the ethics. Required safety laundry list for safe opioid prescribing & the relationship with professional burnout in age of "The Ritz" type healthcare consumerism culture;
- Be able to problem solve how to guide and manage chronic pain & hope for patients with emotional conflict with substitutive medical disorders;
- Decide if they believe if transformational pain management is possible & reproducible.
8:30—9:15 Tips to Improve Patient Satisfaction Scores—Nancy Littlefield, DNP
- Discuss value of measuring patient satisfaction;
- Review current patient satisfaction data provided by National Research Council,
- Evaluate impact of the community's satisfaction with selection of health care services.
9:30—10:30 Renal Pearls for your Practice—David Connito, MD
- Have a better understanding of glomerular physiology & how much common agents such as NSAIDS impact on glomerular filtration rate
- Having a working algorithm to evaluate acute kidney injury and a better understanding of test results used to evaluate it
- Better understand the pathophysiology of and to perform initial testing and intervention of hyponatremia
- know, in the outpatient setting, when it is appropriate to refer a patient to nephrology & what reasonable tests might be performed prior to referral.
10:30—11:15: Women's Health: Pap Smear/HPV Update— Lisa Casanova, MD
- Discuss the pathophysiology of HPV & development of cervical dysplasia
- Review the updated consensus guidelines for obtaining & managing pap smears
- Identify when referral of abnormal pap smears are needed
- Discuss the updated Gardasil 9 vaccine series.
11:15—11:45 Break/Poster Review Exhibit
11:45—12:30 Heart Failure Management—Tara Worley, NP
- Describe the types of heart failure & classification/staging of HF
- Understand the general principles of heart failure management, including pharmacologic & non-pharmacologic therapies
- Discuss various advanced heart failure therapies
12:30—1:15 Update on the Diagnosis & Importance of Clinical Recognition of Obstructive Sleep Apnea—C. Delp Givens, MD
- Identify risk factors & population at risk for sleep disorders
- Describe the appropriate diagnostic test and referral criteria
- Accurately complete DOT physicals in patients with OSA
- Identify various treatment options for OSA
1:15—1:30 pm Closing Remarks/Evaluations
Online Registration and Payment
Riverside Medical Group NP/PA and NP/PA students in active preceptorships with RMG APPs: register online.
Non-RMG NP/PA or NP/PA students: register & pay online.
Newport News Marriott at City Center
740 Town Center Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
- From Interstate 64, take Exit # 258A onto J. Clyde Morris Blvd/Route 17 South.
- Stay in immediate right lane and turn right onto Diligence Drive.
- Turn right onto Thimble Shoals Blvd, then right onto Canon Boulevard.
- Turn left onto Town Center Drive.
- Hotel and parking will be on the left.
- Accreditation Statement: Riverside Regional Medical Center is accredited by The Medical Society of Virginia to provide continuing education for physicians.
- Financial Support: This educational activity is supported by Riverside Health System and Riverside Medical Group. Disclosure of faculty and commercial relationships will be made at the activity.
- Target Audience: All Advanced Practice Providers and students enrolled fulltime in an advanced practice provider curriculum.
- Sponsored by: Riverside Regional Medical Center's Department of Medical Education
- Credit Designation: Riverside Regional Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.